I think it's human nature, perhaps the way our society is today, that we have a tendency to hold onto things as if our lives depend on them. Even if these are bad things. In fact, it's usually the bad things that we hold onto. We don't like change. We like what is comfortable and normal to us, again, even if such things are actually bad. It's still "normal" and familiar so we cling to it and fall into the same habits because they are so familiar.
Our minds are also obsessive, muling over events or experiences, wondering if we could have done things differently, blaming ourselves or others, and stressing ourselves to sickness. We resist moving forward and cling to negative experiences. Constantly.
We all do it. But we can also all work through it and learn to let it go. Because stress has no place in your beautiful wonderful life.
So are you ready to let go and move forward? Okay, here we go!
Steps to letting go and moving forward:
- Remember that it was not your fault. Life is unpredictable, full of so many varying factors and people and things that we simply cannot change or predict. We cannot stop the "bad" from sometimes crossing our paths. Even if you are the direct cause of someone’s pain, things happen for a reason and so do your actions. You must lookout for yourself and sometimes there is a ripple that not everyone is favourable to. We all make mistakes, it's how we learn, so there is no place for guilt as long as you learn.
- "Stress Happens when the Mind Resists what Is" Keep in mind that negative feelings do not serve you. Feeling guilty, down, sad, angry, unforgiving, or anything of the sort locks you in place and doesn't help you, others, or your predicament. Worrying is a misuse of your imagination. Instead, accept what has happened and remind yourself that stressing serves zero purpose. Spend more time imagining a positive outcome instead.
- You can’t change the past. Even if you make a mistake or feel guilty over past actions, there is nothing you can do about it anymore. What's done is done. The only thing that really matters is this moment Right Now. Dwelling on the past won’t change it. What you Can do is take lessons from your past mistakes so that you can create a better future. That being said, don’t fool yourself into thinking you’ll never make them again. We have a tendency to repeat our actions and situations until the lessons become a part of us. Don't get discouraged by repetition, just know that you are still heading in the right direction. Releasing the past is your ticket to moving forward freely in life.
- Everything happens for a reason. The reason for things happening in our lives may not be immediately clear to us, but things have a way of falling into place at some point or another. The way to see the reasons sooner is by learning the lessons and seeking out the positive. You can't move forward if you're always looking back. While you may be waiting for a clear "falling into place," you can always seek out a comforting answer or an opportunity for change in even the shittiest situations if you look closely enough for the light. Remember that attitude is everything.
- You get a second Chance every Day. A new day brings a clean slate, a fresh start, a new beginning. You get a second chance every single second of every single day. If you're having trouble moving forward then remember that you can always move, change majors, quit your job, or just decide to get out of bed and make today kick-ass. The power to change is always in your hands, it is always your responsibility to move forward. Your Choice.
- Will it matter a Year from Now? Picture yourself five years from now, will you even remember today? Will you remember what it was that you are so concerned about in this moment that you are stressing yourself silly? Will you remember eating all that cake, or failing a test, or getting shot down by a guy/girl, or getting into a fight with your friends? What seems world-ending today probably isn’t going to ruin your life.
- You Deserve Good Things. One of the major blocks holding us back is our lack of self-worth. We can't move forward when we don't feel as if we deserve good things in our lives. This is something that you must must must work through. Learn to love yourself, to accept yourself, and to welcome good things into your life. Know that you are awesome. Know that You Are Deserving. Repeat this to yourself daily.
Lastly… the next time you feel yourself stressing out…
Take a step back. Take a deep breath and just try to laugh and force a smile.
Take a second to remember exactly who you are, what you are about, and what you stand for. L
Life will never give you anything in this world that you can't handle!
Remember to be strong, be adaptable, appreciate yourself, appreciate others, and keep moving positively forward!
If you found this article to be helpful, please consider a small donation or visit the shop. Thank you for your love and support.